Friday, August 15, 2014

Multitasking overload.

The other day I was driving home from work and it took everything I had to not check instagram on my phone. It’s like a reaction. Get in car. Turn on engine. Buckle seat belt. Start driving. Check phone. What the hell is wrong with me? 

Actually, I think it’s safe to say, what the hell is wrong with us? Because I’m pretty sure I’m not the only one who has this problem. I like to think of it as a multitasking problem. 

When is the last time you watched a movie at home and actually watched the whole movie without your attention wandering. Wandering to your phone. Wandering to your computer. The other night I was watching a movie (one I hadn’t seen before mind you), and I was also texting on my phone, looking at instagram on my iPad, and scrolling through pinterest on my laptop. I mean… what is that? The day that I can make it home from work without viewing some type of social media is a rare day indeed, and my commute is only four minutes. 

So is there a bigger picture here? Probably. Do I really want to spend time dwelling and diving and ranting and raving about how we as a society have issues and we need to do more of that living in the moment stuff rather than making sure we get a picture of the in the moment stuff? Not really. I’m guilty of it and I’m use to it and I really don’t care how distracted by social media people are, it’s none of my business. 

However, I am going to make a conscious effort, consider it a mid-year resolution, to limit the multitasking. Will it kill me to wait five minutes to see what pointless pictures my acquaintances are uploading? Nope. Heck it’ll even give me something to look at when I’m safe at home on the toilet and not behind the wheel. No more taking a thousand pictures of my hike to only post one. That one will suffice altogether. Limit the phones during dinner, unless your checking IMDB for a movie reference, that shit can wait. And couple selfies? Well, I can’t promise anything with that. 


So no extreme changes. I embrace social media and accept it as part of our culture, but I have to remember that it can wait. Live life, don’t just post it. 

No comments:

Post a Comment